February Progress

Just as traffic bumped in January, the most I got was 240/day before it dived down again to a disheartening level at 150+. Someone on twitter told me that it was seasonal since travel increased in January and dropped by the end of it.

Facebook

I fired my overpriced social media manager and chose to do FB myself.

  • The idea is running ads to gain likes, and hopefully they see the posts afterwards
  • run ads and test various forms , so far managed to get about $0.26 per likes, still too high
  • Start adding news to be shared on FB
  • Share memes from time to time

Pinterest

I start with 10/day and now start to do 20/day on 3rd month. Traffic trickled in but nothing significant. From trend and keyword checking, the topic I cover isn’t really things people search on Pinterest so it’s not a good match.

Thoughts on Social Media

I can start branching and make articles for social media instead for google but I wonder how much this will benefit me

Content

I’m still adding content although no longer aiming for 20 per months. Most of my top performers already dropped to page 2 or even 3 and adding more does not seem to boost anything.

Links

I got a few links but most of them are a bit concerning because they seem to be sites that are designed to sell links (bought high DA site and put content on it). They get little traffic despite the big DA and they all ask money for it.

That and there’s this case NSL got manual penalty as google accused her of buying link make me reconsider link building again.

That being said, my DA 17 domain probably wont go anywhere if I don’t make link.

Recovering Attempt & Diversifying Traffic

Following the Google update and drop in visitors since end of August, I decided make a few effort to keep the business going:

  1. In pursuit of topical authority: unpublishing more than 80 articles. This makes the site a bit tighter but the remaining topics are still unrelated to each other. I ended up with 4 topics.
  2. Reducing the frequency of additional articles since adding more does not seem to add traffic significantly. Google still index it as fast as ever but they all stuck on page 4 or 5 which is useless.
  3. Trying to diversify traffic from social media following NSL suggestion: using a service for FB and doing it myself for Pinterest. So far the result isn’t really significant: 5K traffic from Google & 90 from social media in the last 28 days.
  4. Start link building campaign again to increase my site’s DA. It seems it’s very difficult to rank without proper DA. Mine is now only 19, will see if I can push it to 30+.

Traffic got bumped a bit since end of December, which is supposedly when travel site gets a bump anyway until the end of January. The result is now I get 200+ per day consistently instead of 130+ in the last months. It is still depressing since I got 400+ on August but progress is progress. I’m hoping this will keep up past January.

August Earning

August ended with minimum increase despite the posts’ deletion. Both GSC click and GA PV increased only by about 1000. Earnings increased by about $30.

  • GSC click: 10,466
  • Ad revenue: $225.12
  • GA PV: 14,202
  • RPM: $15.85 (from ad only)
  • Ezoic visit: 13,624
  • Ezoic EPMV: $18.40
  • Amazon revenue: $56.07
  • Total revenue: $281.19

I’m considering to add Amazon revenue into the table but it seems to be very dependent on 1-2 pages so maybe sometime in the future.

First Revenue Withdrawal

After getting first revenue on January, today is the time for first revenue withdrawal. The withdrawal comes from Ezoic ad revenue instead of Amazon affiliate commission though.

The conversion rate to my home currency is kind of suck, but being a Neteller user for years I already expect that. At least Payoneer doesn’t charge $12 withdrawal fee on top of the trash rate like Neteller.

Rearrange Categories & Unpublishing Posts

As I get more visitors from my new articles, the old ones stay dead. Categories & menu are very misleading since they’re not what the site actually about these days.

Based on what I learned about how google sees and determines your topical authority, it seems a bunch of unrelated-unranked articles dilute that topical authority. In order to make it clear, tough decision need to be taken: rearrange categories & delete those unrelated-non performed posts.

After consulting a bit in IS forum, I finally did it today:

  • Unpublished 26 posts
  • Deleted 8 posts
  • Removed all internal links pointing to those posts
  • Rearrange categories and assign new categories
  • Change the main menu based on new categories

All said and done, now all I can do is sit and see if this will make anything